Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Let's Talk Fitness // 1: Introduction


This post has been without a doubt been inspired by the fact that I had my first session with a personal trainer yesterday. I have always been interested in health and fitness and the nutritional science overall. Since being healthy and happy both mentally and physically is a large portion of being confident and beautiful, I thought that my blog would be the perfect place to share my exercise routine and some healthy recipes. Now keep in mind that I am just a college student attempting to stay fit and not a professional.

Okay, let's start off with a bit of history. I was always involved in many athletic activities as a child: I danced for six years, I swam, I played tennis, did karate, and ran track. Unfortunately when high school came around, I became less active. I would go to the gym now and then and try out diets that I was curious about (nothing too drastic). I was never overweight but I wouldn't classify myself as skinny by any means. I have long muscular legs, broad swimmer shoulders, and then I got myself a big bootie and boobs. Also, I am almost 5'7". I guess some would classify me as curvy but I don't believe I fall into that category because I do not have very wide hips. I've maintained pretty much the same weight all throughout high school until senior year when I lost about twelve pounds. I must admit I'm not all sure as to how I managed to accomplish that because I wasn't try to lose any weight at that point. I assume it was because of extreme stress.
Me in January 2013
I'm sure all of you know about the infamous 'Freshman 15'. Luckily, I don't fancy beer so I did not gain that much weight, but I did gain weight from poor eating habits. The major problem was that my schedule was all off and I would end up eating dinner very late at night. Even though I began going to the gym regularly and began going to boxing and yoga, that late night Jimmy John's was making an appearance on my body. Also, I come from a pretty healthy household where we rarely have juice (too much sugar) and mostly eat whole grains. The transition from that to college definitely influenced my eating habits. When I came back home in the beginning of March for a weekend visit, my mom informed me that I had visibly gotten bigger.

I must admit that this upset me and I did get a bit obsessed with losing all that I had gained during the second semester. I ended up going to the gym almost every night for an hour to two hours and I started a food journal. I would burn anywhere from 500 to 800 calories a night. I know that isn't the healthiest mentality to have but it's been four months and I lost the weight and I kept it off. My next goal is to get more toned and get down to the weight I had at the end of my senior year. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be fit and healthy.

I know that this is more of an introductory post but I promise I will post more about food and specific exercises. Let me know if you guys enjoy this series! xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Masha,

    Please continue the fitness series! I love knowing that I am not the only one who struggles with fitness and you are also providing some much needed motivation.

    Zo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is a fab post... I'm sure you're going to help, and inspire a lot of people wanting to do the same :D xx

    Gemma ♥ | Ɱiss Ɱakeup Ɱagpie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fab and good on you for keeping fit :)

    I'm about the same height and possibly build as you, (5"7 big boobs/bum but with hips) and go to the gym/work out as often as I can!
    Good luck with it :D


    Holly Mixtures
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shoes !
    http://thecrimeofashion.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really lacking in motivation when it comes to fitness but this spurred me on a bit, lovely post! xo

    www.ejverx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post :)
    its interesting to read about others health + fitness stuff x

    dontcrycowboy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your lovely comments! xxx